6 Things You Must Do Before Selling Your Home
If you are thinking of selling your St. Louis, Missouri area home, there are some things you must do before listing it for sale. The following 6 things will help your home sell faster and for more money.
6 Things You Must Do Before Selling Your Home:
1. Research your own home. Buyers will be researching your property. In addition to finding out what you paid for it, they may find permits pulled for work performed on the home, they may find out how much you owe on your home. Refresh yourself on the details of your own home so that you are better prepared to negotiate when offers are made. Check your CLUE report to see if it shows any insurance losses related to your home.
2. Pay attention to the curb appeal. Buyers often drive by a home before viewing the inside. If they don’t like what they see outside the may never step foot inside. So check the outside of your home for needed repairs, touch up any paint, clean up the landscaping and mow the lawn. It's also amazing what a good power wash of the home, the driveway and walkways can do for curb appeal.
3. Clean and maintain the inside of your home. When was the last time you wiped down your kitchen cabinets? Cleaned your tile grout? Touched up the paint? Bring a friend over and have them make a list of anything that is dirty or any smells that you have become blind to. Also make sure you've made any necessary repairs. Buyers don’t want to purchase a project. Replace light bulbs and fix anything that is broken.
4. Organize and declutter. Are your closets hard to close? Is your house filled with clutter? Get rid of any extra items. Have a garage sale, donate items to charity or put items in storage. You want to maximize the space in your home. This includes your storage spaces. Make sure that there is plenty of room in your closets even with your stuff in them. Clear counters, end tables and other surfaces of extra items.
5. Stage the home to sell. It is hard for buyers to envision the space of a home once all the furniture has been cleared out and the sellers have moved. If you will be relocating before you sell your home, leave some furniture groupings in the home to show how the home functions.
6. Talk to an experienced Realtor like Carol Cammarata for advice on the best price to list your home that reflects the current market conditions and your home's special features. Zillow won’t give you an accurate home value, an experienced Realtor will.
Thinking of listing your home for sale? Contact Carol to learn more.